8.14.2007

Showdown on the 18th

Precursors to main events of the day included lunch with Eric and MiMi, as well as lounging around the house and listening to my iPod while I packed up some more stuff.
At about 4:45 p.m., Eric, my Dad, and I teed off of The Short Course at Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. One thing that I have enjoyed about this summer is that I have been able to play a lot of golf, something that I have not had a lot of time to do during the past 4 years. The Short Course is and 18-hole-all-par 3 course, with even par being an obvious 54. It presents a good opportunity to work on the ever challenging short game of a golfer. I came out blazing today, shooting +1 on the first 5 holes. I don't think I hit a single green on those 5 holes, but I was scrambling like crazy. My sand wedge was deadly accurate, and my bump-and-run with a 7 iron was also working extremely well.
This bump-and-run shot is one that I have only recently figuratively added to my bag of shots, and I have found that in situations where I am just off the side of the green or instances where I am further off the green but I have a downhill approach to the green, it allows me to be consistently more accurate.
After the first 5 holes, I cooled off a little bit and ended up +9 over the front 9. I continued this cooling off phase at the start of the back 9, and my Dad started to heat up. I think at one point he had me by about 7 strokes or so. I was hitting my irons pretty solid all day, and I hit about or 7 of the greens in regulation. However, I had a trend going of making par on a hole and following it with a double bogey or two before regaining focus.
With 2 holes left to play, my dad stated that he was up 5 strokes on me. I had just come off a blow up hole in which I took a double par because I had some trouble getting out of the sand. I was determined to calm down, re-focus, and try to par out in hopes of a tie or a win (I was also hoping my dad would choke and make a double bogey on the last 2 holes).
Hole #17 was a par 3, 135 yards, mainly flat, and I elected to take my 9 iron off the tee. I hit a beautiful shot that faded slightly to align itself with the pin, and I found myself 15 feet away from the pin. After lining up the put, I played a 1 ft break to the left and.....drano! Birdie! My dad took a double bogey, and I had cut the lead down to 2 strokes.
Hole #18 was a par 3, 125 yards, mainly flat, with a difficult pin location on a skinny part of the green that jutted out of the back right hand corner. Knowing that I had to gain 2 strokes on this hole, I had to go straight for the pin instead of playing for the large part of the green which would lead to a longer put. I pulled out my pitching wedge, made good contact, and landed it on the skinny part by about 6 inches, leaving me 15 feet from the hole. My Dad landed on the fat part of the green, but left a monster of a put. He putted first and misjudged the downhill speed leaving him 15 feet past the hole. After leaving his next put short I putted, and came about about 6 feet short. His next put was for the win, and he barely missed it, followed by a tap in and a 5 for the hole. This meant that I had a 6 ft put for the tie! After a few deep breaths and some practice strokes, I putted, and...drano! Tie! Come from behind, 5 strokes in 2 holes!
Later on, I had a friendly debate with my parents about euthanasia, and all that know me know my opinion on the issue. Tomorrow will be another relaxing day. I will definitely go on a ride tomorrow.

No comments: