8.25.2007

Interesting Semester So Far

The semester has been interesting so far, with lots of events occurring that I did not foresee. A few weeks ago, I got a call from a guy at The Alabama Productivity Center asking me to work for them this semester on a simulation project. APC is a research institution located in Bidgood Hall that gets subcontracted work from companies around Alabama and hires on students along with faculty to complete them. At first, I told them that I wanted to work, but after consulting with myself and a colleague, I decided that I just wanted to chill this semester. However, in the back of my mind, I really had no idea what I wanted to do. After praying about it, I completely turned it over to God, and didn't worry about it at all. Out of the blue, on the first day of classes, I decided to pay APC a visit and figure out what they had to offer. As a side note to this story, I am paying for every single bit of my expenses this semester: tuition, living, eating, misc-- expenses of close to $7000. He explained the project to me, and it actually sounded really good, and something that I would love to do. Then he started telling me about the financial rewards, and I found out that they would be paying 1/2 of my tuition as WELL as $10 and hour! After I heard this (as well as the project specifics), I immediately felt that this was what I needed to do. I accepted the job, and did not second-guess anything. I truly feel like God had a part in it. Word.
On Thursday, I rode 23.5 miles with Jason and about 6 other members of the Triathlon Club. It was pretty fun-- we did the Sanders Ferry out-and-back route.
My classes are alright so far. I can tell that I am really going to like my Reliability class, one that deals a lot with statistics and also is taught by my favorite instructor. Thermodynamics is for sure going to be extremely boring, as well as Circuits and Materials. Oh well. That's what I get for waiting until my last semester to take them.

No comments: