7.29.2007

Contador Wins, I Lose.

Alberto Contador, a 24 year old phenom from Spain, wins the 2007 Tour de France. Although it was pretty much over after yesterday's time trial (the 20th and final stage that ends in Paris is more of a formality for the riders), every once in a while, a rider may try to get cheap and gain some of the time bonuses on the 20th stage to move up some places. Being the classy and gentleman-like riders that they are, the 2nd and 3rd placed riders behind Contador (Cadel Evans and Levi Leipheimer) said that they would not attack each other or Contador, even though Contador only lead Evans by 23 seconds and Leipheimer was only 8 seconds behind Evans. It is insane that the top 3 riders' final times over 3000+ miles were separated by a mere 31 seconds. Unbelievable. In a Tour that was plagued with doping scandals that saw stage winners and yellow jersey holders removed from the race, it actually turned out to be one of the most exciting ones yet:)
This afternoon, my Dad and I headed out to Bentbrook to play a round of golf, in what was sure to be another epic shootout. We both started out striking the ball well, but neither of us could score, and we finished the front 9 dead even at 47-47. Both of us played significantly better on the back 9. My tee shots were almost always in the fairway or very near rough, and I was striking my irons and chipping around the green very well. After a mammoth 250 yard 3 wood down the middle of the fairway on hole 11, I had an easy 120 yard pitching wedge into the green. However, not knowing my own strength (haha), I powered it over the green and was stuck on the other side of a creek with about 5 trees in front of me. I had about a 5 foot opening in front of me, and a 10 foot vertical distance until I would hit a tree branch. Taking my sand wedge (I was too lazy to go get a 3 or 4 iron), I placed the ball in the back of my stance and hit a little punch shot that flew right in between the trees and landed about 10 ft from the pin. It was awesome. On hole 14, a 140 yard par 3, I grabbed my 8 iron and with a very solid stroke I knocked it 6 feet from the pin. Booyah. I then masterfully sank the testing 1-ft-breaker 5 foot put for a BIRDIE! However, after a few mishaps here and there and some stellar shots by my Dad (including hitting the flag stick from 150 out), it all came down to hole 18, as it always does. After my Dad missed a 10 footer for the win, all I had to do was sink a 10 footer of my own for the tie. I hit the put solid...good line...and...it lips out the right corner, no! I absolutely knew that I had it read right, but I think I hit it just slightly too hard. Final score: Dad-90, Chad-91. I'm happy with the 91 and the birdie, but none of that matters. I want the W.
I lifted some weights and ran my hill a few times later on tonight, since I've gotten to where I have to at least do something everyday. I love the way I feel after I have a really hard workout. Being in shape is awesome. I would recomend it to anyone who wants to improve their quality of life.
I have read 6 pages in Genesis on my quest to read the entire Bible. Current scripture: Genesis 3:17. Even though the summer is over, I still have some meat left on it. I am still going to see Taking Back Sunday, Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, and Saosin in Atlanta. I am buying a bike this weekend.
I have 70 hours of work left, and about $1K more to make before the end of the summer. I am, however, ready to go back to Tuscaloosa.

No comments: