4.14.2013

Double Oak Duathlon Race Report

Apr 1 - Apr 7
S:  13,800 yds - 3hr 13min
B:  102.38 mi - 5hr 50min
R:  25.90 mi - 3hr 21min
Total:  12hr 24min

Last year I began the multisport season with the Double Oak Duathlon; a short, ~1 hour race right in my own backyard at Oak Mountain State Park.  It went well and I thought it was a good distance for the first race of the year, so I decided to do it again.  This year's duathlon was to be the same course as last year; a 5k run, 20k bike, and 2.5k run, with a 0.6 mile section on single track trail in each of the runs.  To sum it up in short, I was able to get the win!  Here's how it happened:

Run 1 and T1 - 20:52
As we lined up, I began to size up the competition and noticed there were maybe 1-2 guys that I did not know that looked like they could be fast.  Locally, I knew there was no one out there that could beat me so the main threat would be from an unknown competitor.  The goal for the race was to win, and I wouldn't be happy with anything else.  As the gun went off, we took off.  The race began with a 0.25 mile slight uphill and everyone was just crushing it.  I looked down at my Garmin after a minute and we were still running 5:25 pace (up a slight incline, remember) and I was sitting in 10th place (ridiculous).  I decided there was no way any of these guys could keep it up so I backed down to a more reasonable 5:50-6:10 pace (depending on the hills).  Sure enough, a couple of guys started to fade and I quickly moved into 4th place.  I had noticed that one guy shot straight off the front at the beginning of the race...he looked like a runner and I knew he would be the guy to beat.  Miles 1 and 2 clicked by in 6:02 and 5:54 before entering the single track for the last little bit of the run.  No issues there and I approached T1 in 4th place ready to lay down some watts. 

Bike - 32:06
Duathlon is so hard, don't let anyone try and tell you otherwise.  IMO, it's way harder than triathlon.  Try running a 5k at full gas and then hop on your bike and do a 30 minute threshold interval...it's not easy!  The leader of the race had about 1:45 on me starting the bike, so I had my work cut out for me.  The first couple minutes of the bike were flat/downhill so I spent that time letting my heart drop 185 bpm down to 160 bpm.  As soon as we hit the main road I settled into a hard effort of 270-280 watts, knowing that I would soon start to reel in the 3 leaders.  At the 3 mile mark I saw 2nd and 3rd place up the road.  Not long after I was up on them and quickly blew by them.  As we approached the turnaround I caught a glimpse of the leader.  He must have been a slow descender because after a short descent I was right up on him as we rounded the turnaround cone.  At this point, I decided to put my vo2 work to use and used the long hill right after the turnaround to punch it hard for about a minute in order to leave him in the dust.  At the top of the hill I had a sizable gap, and from there on I was just following the lead motorcycle into T2 while trying to increase my lead. 

T2 and Run 2 - 10:02
I rolled into T2 with what I later would find out to be about a 2 minute lead.  After fumbling with my shoes I ran out to start the run and a quick glance behind me showed no sign of any competitors.  The first part of the run was on uphill single track trail, and I hammered it hard knowing that the guy in 2nd was a strong runner.  As the minutes went by, however, he was still out of sight so I knew I had it in the bag.  The last half mile was downhill so I coasted into the finish line and snapped the tape with a ~1 minute margin of victory.  This year is off to a good start so far...hopefully there will be more where this came from!

the top 3 overall podium

No comments: