8.09.2007

Early Shift + Testing Out The New Bike

As I previously posted, I worked this morning from 12:30 a.m. until 5:30 a.m. Since all of the University of Alabama student tickets were being delivered today, UPS needed all the help that they could get. Nicolas Willis (the other intern) and I, along with our manager Jon Rich, our supervisor Robyn Smaha, and a security manager managed to knock out the sorting of the 3000+ football ticket packages in about an hour and a half or so. However, the side that Nic and I were working on undoubtedly contained about 1/2 of the total volume. We had to sort the tickets into their specified routes. Each center in the Birmingham building (there are 3 of them: Southeast, Southwest, and Central) runs anywhere from 42 to 57 routes. Nic and I were working the Central routes, of which there were about 45. By the end of the sort, I had pretty much memorized each routes location in the bins that we had labeled. After sorting, we had to bag each route individually, labeling the bag with the route ID and the number of ticket packages inside. The bagging definitely took a lot longer than the sorting. When it was all said it done, the clock read 5:30 a.m., and I hurried home to bed. I slept from 6 a.m. until 4 p.m. It was awesome.
I met the Birmingham Bicycle Club out at Winn Dixie on Morgan Road at 6 p.m. for their weekly ride. I was extremely anxious to test my new bike out on a long ride. I joined Bryan Oliver (Jamie's dad), and 2 other men on a 25 mile loop through the back roads of the Bessemer area. I am very happy with how my bike feels. All of the reviews that I read on it were true: it is a very smooth ride. We finished the ride in 1:26:30 for an average speed of 17.37 mph. I plan on racking up some miles in the near future.

No comments: